Am 10.07.24 um 18:36 schrieb Bernd Zeimetz:
On Tue, 2024-07-09 at 11:45 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
On Tue, 09 Jul 2024 at 10:57:39 +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
     Agreed: either it's drop-in compatible or we may as well switch
the
     default to NM and/or systemd-networkd.

Well, here's a heretical thought: why don't we do that anyway, at
least for new
installations?

To some extent, we are already there: for new laptop/desktop
installations, NM is already the default (certainly true for GNOME,
and hopefully for most/all of the other tasksel-supported desktops).

For new server/embedded installations, I think networkd would be a
better default than ifupdown  [....]

yes please, I would love to see Debian switch from ifupdown to
NM/networkd. ifupdown was the perfect tool for the time it was created
in, but things have advanced, and imho now is a good time to switch.

I agree. On all my systems I purged ifupdown long ago and use networkd exclusively for simpler/more static setups and NM for more dynamic environments, like my work laptop.
Both proved to be very stable and solid.

Since there is a lot of support for this idea, the next logical step as smcv said, would be to make d-i/netcfg networkd aware. At the beginning, this could be opt-in (for testing purposes) and we could make it the default later on.

Any takers?

Regards,
Michael