Simon McVittie <s...@debian.org> (2024-07-14):
> On Sun, 14 Jul 2024 at 17:09:48 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > Sorry, but no. Networking clearly is *not* changing that fast, in
> > software terms. Many old tools still continue to work just fine
> > after a decade or more.
>
> Yes, I think I agree with Luca's conclusion, but not so much with this
> argument: the parts of networking that are relevant for a default
> choice that lets users get started (approximately the subset supported
> by d-i) don't move that fast.

Having finally “fixed” ifupdown support in d-i during the last cycle,
unless I missed an obvious solution at the time (but then I didn't get a
lot of feedback when I asked), a simple “I'd like auto-IPv4 and IPv6 on
a WPA connection” configuration was harder to express than I thought… I
ended up with the following, unconvincingly:

https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/netcfg/-/commit/815cdfccaa5567fdf53594d47545d97c235de68e

Maybe it's just a matter of storing/splitting the configuration
differently, but at least at the time it seemed to be a limitation of
the design.

Roughly at the same time, we hit some major ifupdown regression, which
led to no networking at all after a default (automatic networking, no
firmware, everything trivial) installation, which led me to reopen
#1022843. While trying to improve the “restart” case, the much simpler
“network at bootup” broke entirely, oopsy!

  https://bugs.debian.org/1022843#42

This is not to put any blame on ifupdown or its maintainer(s), I just
meant to share than even “easy-peasy use cases” can be tricky with “good
old tools that have been known to work reliably”: that doesn't quite
match my experience. :(

Cheers,
--
Cyril Brulebois (k...@debian.org)            <https://debamax.com/>