On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> Perhaps we should look at toolchain-source?  I don't like it as a
> solution, but it already exists.

True.  Let's allow gcc 3.1 to progress to the point where we can talk
about this more seriously.  For now, I don't think there's any great
demand to go ahead and start packaging it now.  Since there hasn't been a
hint of a release schedule for 3.1 that I've seen, I'm assuming we have
quite a bit of time to look into this.

> On the other hand, there's quite a bit of good Alpha support in GNAT
> already, so it shouldn't be too bad.

It is that bad :-P  The real problem is that almost all pre-compiled
binaries are for 32-bit platforms.  The problems with cross-compiling from
a 32-bit arch to a 64-bit arch target were never fixed apparently, so the
assembly that is being generated has some problems that cause it not to
link.  I tried for two straight days (no sleep) and couldn't get it to
work at all.  I was thinking of compiling on mips just for grins and to
make sure that my procedure is sound (I have an Indy here...big endian, so
I could easily do this).  From what I can tell, though, I've got it down,
but going from i386->alpha just won't fly.

I'm hoping to get access to a Tru64 installation on some Alpha to work
from there.  Beats installing Tru64 here (I have the CDs, but need another
disk and a bigger power supply to do this since my current discs are
maxed).