On Sun, Aug 02, 2020 at 06:41:33PM +0200, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> If it is convenient for Debian we can do a 0.181 release to make this
> official.

Thank you for the offer. I don't think that anything (in Debian) links
libdebuginfod at present. Therefore we'll just make the library and the
program optional with one flag (pkg.elfutils.nodebuginfod is what I
propose as build profile name).

We can revise build profiles at a later time if the need arises.

In general, I don't like stub libraries. Bootstrapping is hard and you
can easily get it wrong. A failure at one step sometimes manifests much
later. Therefore we compare bootstrap builds with native builds using
diffoscope. Having a stub library would show up as a giant difference.
I'm not saying this cannot be done. I just want to avoid doing it as
long as we can.

I actually wonder more about why debuginfod must be merged into
elfutils. To the uninitiated, it would seem that building debuginfod
entirely separate should be possible. Simply separating debuginfod into
a separate tarball (and source package in Debian) would have eliminated
the need for the profile and --disable-debuginfod and likely more. Doing
so might be difficult on the upstream side though and I'm not sure
whether splitting debuginfod at release time would be practical. Very
likely, you do have reasons for maintaining them together.

This kinda is the same situation with util-linux. Splitting the
libraries into a separate source tarball would make bootstrapping
easier. There seems to be a trend in fusing components together. This
also happened to udevd and systemd.

Helmut