I've just had a thought, prompted by a new potential developer's
question on the -qa list.  When the floodgates reopen soon, we're
going to have a lot of new developers and not that many easy packages
to work on initially.  I know for myself that packaging a
straightforward, essentially clean and bug-free initial package,
taking it through the manual -> debhelper transition, etc., was a
really good learning experience.  I guess that it would be a wise idea
for seasoned developers to consider offering simple packages to the
incoming new maintainers so that they can learn the packaging tools
and the intricacies of policy requirements without having to cope
initially with a large number of bug reports.  I would be happy to
hand on some of my simple packages to the new developers and even do
some handholding.

Anyone else think similarly?

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/