George Danchev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> True, and Martin's reasoning is about consistency across the
> architectures, not that much after security, as I read it.

That argument I agree with.

> On Saturday 02 September 2006 02:41, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> However, that does not mean I think it's a bad idea.  I actually think
>> it's a good idea, but for a somewhat different reason.  Every single
>> time we get ready to release stable, someone builds every package in
>> the distribution and then encounters a bunch of FTBFS errors,
>> particularly for arch: all packages.  Many of those errors were always
>> there and were never detected because we don't build arch: all packages
>> anywhere outside the maintainer's system.

> Fortunately there are lots of people running personal autobuilders and
> reporting FTBFS's lately, even in the arch:all packages.

Sure, because we're approaching a release.  My impression is that this
activity ramps up considerably before a release, which adds to the problem
of growing RC bug counts right when we're trying to shrink them.  The
solution is to find the problems earlier and in a way that breaks
something the maintainer immediately cares about.  If packages couldn't
get into the archive unless they built on at least one autobuilder, I
think that would cut down on a lot of RC bugs that are only found later
and get maintainers to be more aggressive about fixing them immediately.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>