Jeff Elkins wrote:
> Knoppix HD install apparently thinks I'm German. At any rate, ispell wants to
> use the German dictionary.
>
> How can I fix the default locale to be US?

But the default keyboard layout is German as one would expect.  To get
a us keyboard layout and I assume the accompanying locales, I boot
with lang=us.  Not sure if this affects the locale or not but I assume
so since my error messages are not in German.

Here is my normal boot line for knoppix.  This is documented on the
knoppix online help screen at boot time.

  knoppix lang=us wheelmouse

Obviously if you do not have a wheel or have a different lang
preference then you would use a different option.

Bob