On Tuesday 19 Jul 2005 18:22, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> I have a Debian Sarge server which provides the following services
> DNS (internal only), DHCP, Apache, Samba.
>
> Yesterday morning it suddenly crashed. I could not access it through
> any protocols and the terminal was totally locked (no console,
> nothing), although the computer was still on. After rebooting
> (pushing the reset key was the only way) it worked for about 30-40
> minutes and crashed again. This time when I rebooted, I turned off
> Apache and Samba. Nonetheless it crashed about 30-40 minutes later
> again. So this time I disabled Apache and SSH. After working for a
> couple of hours without any problems, I turned apache back on. Since
> then it stayed up till this morning when it crashed again.
>
> Looking through various log files, I can't find any reason for the
> crashes. Of course, I might not have been looking in the right logs,
> or I don't have logging for the right service turned up high enough.
>
> I did some checks on the 2 ide HDs. But they seem fine. Any ideas on
> what I should be looking for to figure out what is going on? Or is it
> just some serious hardware problem and I need to start replacing stuff?
>
> Curtis

The only time this happened to me was when I had broken RAM.

Can you afford to run memtest on the machine for a couple of days in order to
rule it out.

I swapped the RAM into another machine and it eventually failed memtest on
the third day of testing - but I haven't had another failure since. (Fingers
crossed.)

Cheers,