On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 15:41:30 -0400 Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:

> On Sunday 23 April 2017 15:15:05 Patrick Bartek wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 00:21:28 -0400 Gene Heskett
> > <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> >
> > wrote:

> > > And how do you get that 10 year newer flash?  The adobe site
> > > doesn't show me anything newer than the 11.xx.xx.xxx stuff.
> >
> > That's strange.  In your other posts you said you found that "new"
> > version, but I get mine just by going to www.adobe.com, and at the
> > bottom of the page, right side, click on "flashplayer."  That takes
> > me to the download page with Linux 64bit already picked, I choose
> > the tar.gz file even though there's a .deb one.  Download, unpack
> > and copy as root libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
> > after mv'ing the old version just in case. Done!
> >
> >  For years while using Fedora, manually was the ONLY way to install
> > the flashplayer.  And since "install-flashplayer-nonfree" stopped
> > working months ago, I reverted to my old Fedora habits..
> >
> > I noted as you did that there are a lot of other places for the
> > player, mostly symbolic links, but the above works for me, so I keep
> > doing it that way.
> >
> > As to how to find out when a new version is out, I wait until
> > Firefox during my normal browsing notifies me my version is old and
> > my system "..is at risk."  Then just do the manual download/install
> > thing.  I don't use the Firefox link to the new version.  Have had
> > problems with it before.

> Problems is an understatement and I blame that for the mess I have
> now.
>
> Its as if they intended to poison it. They just didn't use a strong
> enough dose of arsenic, and created a monster with all the
> workarounds.
>
> None of which ever worked 100% because the web pages all seemed to be
> using a different version.  The "it works here" syndrome, essentially
> the same as the N.I.H. beliefs. :(

Well, I'm glad flash is dying.  Wish it would do so faster.  On my
Wheezy system my primary browser is Chrome, deprecated and
unsupported for over a year now.  Or has it been two?  No new versions
available. Pepperflash stopped working a few months ago. Never could
fix it.  So, just disabled it. And the funny thing is, I rarely run
into sites now that require it anymore.  HTML5 is being adopted rapidly.
Still there are hold-outs. To be expected.

As far as "works here," my primary system is a very non-standard install
of Wheezy 64-bit on a box I built 10 years ago. (Hardware's been
upgraded numerous times since.) Started with a Base Install Terminal
Only, and built it up from there. Window manager only.  No display
manager, no udisks, etc. Even wrote my own udev rules. Anyway, I figure
if something works on my system, it should work on any "standard" system
with all the Bells and Whistles, Linux or otherwise.