Public bug reported:

Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
Nautilus 3.4.2

I have an SSH key installed in my homedir, but I do not want to (and
cannot) use the key to connect to a particular remote server when
mounting an SSH share in Nautilus. As a result, Nautilus is timing out
when trying to make the connection (it appears to be using my input
password as the passphrase, as ssh defaults to using the key).

When connecting with the SSH command, I would use something like the
following to prevent my passphrase being requested:

ssh -o PreferredAuthentications=keyboard-interactive,password -l admin
www.example.com

However, I cannot find any way to force Nautilus to do the same. As far
as I can tell, Nautilus is therefore using my input password for the
passphrase.

I have managed to workaround this by using the following .ssh/config:

Host www.example.com
PreferredAuthentications keyboard-interactive,password

But even that is messy as I *do* sometimes need to connect to the same
host using a passphrase and key, but as a different remote username.

I can't see an easy solution to this, but consider that an option in the
Nautilus SSH "connect to server" dialogue box would be useful, to be
able to specify a password or key connection. Interestingly during my
research I have come across other people who have been confused by
having to put their passphrase into the password dialogue box.

** Affects: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  Nautilus SSH connection timeout when passphrase is prompted but
  password required

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu: