Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: gdm (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gdm in Ubuntu.

  sound too loud at login screen

Status in “gdm” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gdm

  Log in to Ubuntu.
  Before you enter the password, the sound is too loud. It is too loud even
with internal speakers; with external speakers or headphones it's just
disastrous.
  After you enter the password, the sound returns to normal level.

  This bug happens each time the computer is reboot.

  What's more interesting, this bug is not there in Hardy (Hardy with
  all updates, I have it too): Hardy plays sound on the same level that
  was there on the last reboot. Of course, there's a risk that one user
  will use another user's sound level settings, at least for a while,
  but it should be preferred to what we have now. Finally, keeping the
  sound level settings secret sounds a bit paranoid.

  What I expected to happen: I expected sound to be played using the level that
I set last time
  What actually happened: sound played at maximal magnitude.

  And, guys, this bug is a security vulnerability because with this bug
  all my neighbors know when my computer reboots.

  $lsb_release -rd
  Release:      10.04

  $ apt-cache policy gdm
  gdm:
    Installed: 2.30.2.is.2.30.0-0ubuntu5.1
    Candidate: 2.30.2.is.2.30.0-0ubuntu5.1
    Version table:
   *** 2.30.2.is.2.30.0-0ubuntu5.1 0
          500 http://ru.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main Packages
          500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-security/main Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       2.30.0-0ubuntu5 0
          500 http://ru.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages

  $ apt-cache policy alsa
  alsa:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: (none)
    Version table:

  Package: gdm 2.30.2.is.2.30.0-0ubuntu5.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-31.61-generic 2.6.32.32+drm33.14
  Date: Mon Apr 25 20:40:21 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64 (20100429)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_US.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gdm