According to http://sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-EPSON this should
be supported by the SANE drivers. This will need to be solved in the
driver in the SANE project. Note that connecting via USB using different
protocols than network scanning which is why it works only over the
network.

** Package changed: simple-scan (Ubuntu) => sane-backends (Ubuntu)

** Summary changed:

- simple scan can not detect my printer/scanner
+ Epson DX8400 not detected

Packages, which is subscribed to simple-scan in Ubuntu.

  Epson DX8400 not detected

Status in sane-backends package in Ubuntu:

  I am using an Epson DX8400 printer/sacanner on a ubuntu 18.04 64 bit
  installation. When I connect the printer via USB on my fritzbox3490
  router, the system sees the printer/scanner and it prints correctly.
  However when I activate simple scan I get the message "no scanner
  detected".

  If I plug the printer/scanner direct to my pc USB port everything
  works okay both printing and scanning. However this prevents others on
  my small network from using the scanner.

  Why cant the system detect the scanner app when it detects the printer
  perfectly when connected via the router.