Tim, your issue in comment 26 is confusing to me. It looks like it's
caused by my patch in comment 6?

Specifically, it looks like subprocess.Popen returns a unicode string as
stdout for you. I can't reproduce locally, in either python2.7 or
python3.7:

>>> import subprocess
>>> subprocess.Popen([u'ls'],
>>> stdout=subprocess.PIPE).communicate()[0].decode('utf8')

The documentation for Popen says:
"If encoding or errors are specified, or text is true, the file objects stdin,
stdout and stderr are opened in text mode with the specified encoding and
errors, as described above in Frequently Used Arguments. The universal_newlines
argument is equivalent to text and is provided for backwards compatibility. By
default, file objects are opened in binary mode."

None of the arguments that would cause Popen to return a unicode string
seem to be passed to it by duplicity...?

Packages, which is subscribed to duplicity in Ubuntu.

  Duplicity fails to start

Status in Duplicity:
  Fix Committed
Status in duplicity package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  I am on 19.10.  Duplicity crashes as soon as I try to start a backup,
  as below. It was running fine on 19.04.

  Traceback (innermost last):
    File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 107, in <module>
      with_tempdir(main)
    File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 93, in with_tempdir
      fn()
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/dup_main.py", line 1522, in
main
      action = commandline.ProcessCommandLine(sys.argv[1:])
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/commandline.py", line 1200,
in ProcessCommandLine
      globals.backend = backend.get_backend(args[0])
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/backend.py", line 225, in
get_backend
      obj = get_backend_object(url_string)
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/backend.py", line 211, in
get_backend_object
      return factory(pu)
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/backends/giobackend.py",
line 81, in __init__
      ensure_dbus()
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/backends/giobackend.py",
line 37, in ensure_dbus
      lines = output.split(u'\n')
   TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'