On 12/4/2013, 11:56 AM, Julien Wajsberg wrote:
Le 04/12/2013 17:26, Ehsan Akhgari a écrit :
On 12/3/2013, 6:02 PM, Benoit Girard wrote:
At this point we're leaning towards exposing it to all of b2g however I
don't expect this property to be widely used outside of gaia. We have 3
options, (1) Wait until the spec is ready and miss out on important
performance improvements (2) Expose it to subset of B2G which will gain
preferential treatment, (3) Expose it to all of b2g. Frankly I think (3)
is the preferred option. But of course I'd like to hear feedback on it.

Please remember that we're talking about exposing a CSS property which
is not yet standardized and is currently a single vendor property. I'm
not sure what our current practices for exposing CSS properties are,
but if they're anything like exposing new DOM features, (3) is out of
question, and we should either go with (1) or (2).  Since it seems
like you're not interested in waiting for the standardization process,
(2) might be the appropriate thing to do, specifically exposing
will-animate to certified apps only, and wait until the
standardization process is finished before exposing it to the broader
web both on Firefox OS and other platforms that we support.

While I agree on all you're saying, it has one inconvenient: we'll
likely have criticism for giving preference to our apps over third-party
apps. For someone external to the project, it's similar to what Apple is
doing with Webkit HW acceleration in iOS. That's not the same reason for
sure, but it shares the same consequences.

Yes, that's fair. In the world of DOM APIs, we sometimes do this for other reasons though, either because of time pressure to ship, or because we're not sure if a given API is a good idea and we want to have a sandbox where a subset of the developers targeting our platform (in that case the gaia developers) being able to play with the feature and provide us with feedback that can guide our way to expose the feature to the web.

I'm not sure which one of these reasons if any applies to will-animate. If none of these reasons apply, then perhaps we should not ship it anywhere unless we're ready to ship it everywhere.

Cheers,
Ehsan