I do want to caution that if some files are missing the operating system image
flashed on the device might not necessarily work.

To note, you could manually check for the file doing an adb shell and searching
for it just to verify.

I'm not sure if there's a way to backup a recovery version of your current
image on the device.
I think (I am not certain) CWM might offer such a solution; I could be mistaken.

Regards,
Naoki