Hello Dan,

> First, I apologize if this email is directed to the wrong place or people.

no, you're at the right place here :) - welcome!

> I'm working with the pre-2.0 beta version of the database.

Older than m79? How ... adventurous :)

> What can anyone do to speed up or help with the database reporting side of
> the the project. I'm pretty good with Crystal Reports, but I'm not a
> programmer. Has anyone looked into getting a "widget" written for Crystal
> Reports that would allow it to read the OOo database files?

I don't know enough about Crystal's architecture here, so I cannot judge
what it would take to write a "widget" for it. AFAIK, nobody ventured
into this so far.
I suppose the main problem here would be that OOo database files not
necessarily contain the actual data. Instead, they refer to the data.
So, even if the widget would read the OOo database files, it still would
need a mechanism to access the actual data. This might turn out
difficult, since it either means using (parts of) OOo itself, or to
re-implement the basic data-access functionality of OOo Base.

> Could the mailmerge code of Writer be expanded or changed to allow
> database reporting?

Hardly, IMO. To me it sounds as if there are so few commonalities
between mail marge and reporting (except that for both, the source is
some tabular database data), that adding reporting to mail merge seems
equally expensive as doing reporting from scratch.

- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Database                   http://dba.openoffice.org -