El jue, 18-08-2005 a las 12:11, Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems
Germany escribió:
> Hi Santiago,
>
> sorry for the delay in answering, this shouldn't have happened,
> especially since you're new to this list :-\. So, a late "Welcome" from
> my side :)

No problem. Sometimes I don't have the time to write either.

> It means that the documentation at least needs to be more explicit.
> Then, I'd suggest it should explicitly say that it returns a descriptor
> which, without any change except to the name, can be used to create a
> new table which is a copy of the original one. Then, it's a bug that it
> currently doesn't.

I'm a little confused about [OPTIONAL]s in the API. I was using the ODBC
driver with a PostgreSQL database. The call to createDataDescriptor
doesn't fail, but seems to return nothing. Calling some methods on other
optional interfaces (like getKeys on a connection to a DBASE database)
raise an exception, which seems correct for me.

I would prefer to play around a little bit with the database API, before
I file an issue, because my feeling is that I still have too much to
learn. These are my first steps both on UNO development and OO.org API.

My intention was to create a basic database migration wizard, at the
higher possible level of abstraction (sdb or sdbcx), without messing
with sdbc drivers directly.

I believed that I could copy a table structure between databases just
using this call to createDataDescriptor, but then realized that there
are 'incompatible' properties to be aware of.

So, I used the long way, analyzing each table structure and recreating
it on an empty descriptor. You could see this first attempt on
http://www.oooxtremo.org, on the section 'Repositorio' (in spanish).

As I said, these are my first steps, so I pressume it won't work on many
cases, but I could migrate some basic databases I have on a PostgreSQL
server.

Thanks for your (late :-D) answer,

Santiago Bosio.