Because, so far, 100% of the people I've personally encountered who told me "RDBMSes can't handle 'unstructured data'" had little or no experience in relational database design. Probably there are exceptions, but from my perspective the very phrases "unstructured data" and "semi-structured data" indicate muddy thinking about data which is incompatible with skilled DB design.
Just the other day I thought... Hey, if I really wanted to create an address book (it can't get any simpler than that), which really shows the correct relationship, how would it look. I then created a UML diagram of what I thought it should be. Yuck! So, I have a telephone number. Hmm, that phone number can be attached to a person, company, or address (or some combination). How about an address? Well, it can belong to a person, company, or perhaps both.
Sometimes many people share an address or telephone number.

I felt like I had muddled thinking when I was done. Sometimes, you just have to smack the Mathematician in your head, become an engineer, and make some workable design compromises. Ugggg!

--
Andrew Pitonyak
My Macro Document: http://www.pitonyak.org/AndrewMacro.sxw