Hi Éric,

>>My favourite sexy idea ATM is to have a generic driver, which is
>>parametrized with a few obejcts doing the actual implementation.
>
> Ah. That's a violent change!

:)

> In particular, there are drivers that just pass on SQL requests to
> connectors,
> and others that need reproduce the hard job of decoding the SQL requests. I
> thought that such drivers would be too different to derive from a simple
> class.

Well, this isn't thought to an end, and there lie significant problems
ahead, probably. But everytime some Sun-external contributor such as you
comes with a new database driver, which I review, I have the felling I
saw 80% of the issues in the somewhere else before - because it has been
copied from another driver. That's not the error of the contributor, but
of a) the drivers they copied from :) and b) the fact that there's not
much infrastructure for sharing larger parts of the code.

> When I think in terms of OOP, you think in terms of UNO programming ;-).
> Funny.

I didn't say "UNO" at all - I just put a small innocent "X" in front of
a concept/name which is intendend to be an interface class. Yes, by
accident this conforms to UNO naming conventions, but it's still OOP :)

> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/BetterDatabaseDrivers
>
> I realize this is way too much centered on my own views. Please consider this
> only as a first draft. Everyone, feel free to add much, much more ideas and
> to refine the existing ones.

I will put some own ideas there, too. Thanks for starting it!

To the other people reading here which already struggled with writing a
driver themself: you're invited to participate, and put every item where
you thought "damn, why do I have to do it this stupid way?!" into the
Wiki :)

- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Database                   http://dba.openoffice.org -