Hi Marc,

>>The most comprehensive profiling tools (at least the once I know, which
>>means on Windows) cost an awful lot of money.
>
> What windows? You should be working, not looking outside ... ;)

Pst! Don't tell anybody ...

(completely OT: show me some debugging environment which is as mature as
the one available on Windows, and I'll immediately switch. Perhaps.)

> I was thinking about using gprof and cgprof or similar. But I fear this
> will make the office a multi-gigabyte-nineheaded-monster if compiled
> with "-pg". A small test app I've used lately has grown about factor
> 2-2.5 in size (dunno how much this would be loaded into memory). This
> strategy would have to be limited to some files only, but fiddling the
> build process of OO.o is not for the fainthearted.

Perhaps you should carry this to [EMAIL PROTECTED] I'm sure others
asked themselves those questions, too ...

> So the question is if it's worth the efford. But if gui updates are
> unavoidable this is not so promising.

I suppose in this particular case, there is no *single* big hotspot, but
I might be wrong about this.

Question is whether searching with field formatting is /that/ useful.
How often does it happen you look for "1.2007 10:" in the mid of a
date/time field?

Perhaps we should limit searching to what can be done with filtering:
LIKE, =, ... and let the engine do all of this.

> I was hoping for some "internal" materials at sun that could be quickly
> overhauled to be published.

Sorry to disappoint you. Nowadays, there's rarely *any* meterials which
are not published on OOo, so there in fact is nothing you don't see on OOo.

For the guidelines, there's the coding guidelines in the Wiki (too lazy
ATM to search for them), which are pretty fresh. That's the most obvious
thing which springs to my mind. Other than that: yes, we have a problem
spreading and sharing our knowledge and rules ...

- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -