Hello Barbara,

> Hmm. In the Execute SQL Statement dialog, I had
> UPDATE "Addresses" SET ADDR = TRIM ( ADDR )
>
> What I got was an error:
> 2: Unexpected token in statement [UPDATE "Addresses" SET ADDR = TRIM ( ADDR]
>
> Note that it seems to have dropped the closing paren, and the preceding
> blank - I have no idea why.

Even if Andrew already pointed us to RTRIM/LTRIM, as the better options
let me comment on this one:

According to http://hsqldb.org/doc/guide/ch09.html#N124AF, the syntax of
TRIM somewhat different from what you'd expect. What the message tells
you is that after "TRIM(", HSQL's parser expected something other than
the ADDR it encountered (more precise, it expected one of
LEADING/TRAINLING/BOTH/FROM).

So, the complete syntax if you want to use TRIM is
  UPDATE "Addresses" SET ADDR = TRIM ( BOTH FROM ADDR )
where you can even omit the BOTH.

- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -