Why would Base need to "recover" a database when all OOo applications had been shut down normally (no Quickstarter, either)? In fact, no applications at all were running. This has happened to me fairly frequently, and it makes me nervous! Another curious thing is that sometimes there isn't even a name shown for the database, or even an indication that it's a database at all, but that's what comes up when I allow the recovery. It happened almost all the time when I was using a linked .dbf file; less often now, with an embedded database, and since I have a primary key associated with all the updates I'm hoping this "recovery" is non-destructive, but can anybody tell me what's going on? If it's a bug, and not yet reported, I'll write it up. Of course, it may be a 2.0.4 relic. Clearly there's something going on in the system background, probably with the DDE Server or something (I'm on WinXP), but what's the effect (if any) on my data?