Hello Swarup,

>> If you say "Yes", the data in this column is lost. If you say "No",
>> nothing happens, including the column not being altered.
>
> I see. So if I have no needs for that PARTICULAR "ID" column which I
> had, then I could say "Yes" and the program will go ahead and remove my
> ID column and properly create another one numbered (in my case) 1 to 40?
> And that new ID column will work properly as an auto-generating PK
> column?

That should work, yes.

> When you say "wrong", I'm sure what you mean.

sorry for the confusion. What I wanted to say is that altering a column
via an SQL statement works in general. But Base sends a *wrong* SQL
statement to HSQL when you alter the column via the table designer -
this is the reason for the "could not be changed, should I
drop/re-append" message.

This was just to ensure you don't assume that altering via SQL is not
possible in SQL at all.

- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -