Hello Frank,

On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 14:04 +0200, Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems
Germany wrote:
> Hello Swarup,
>
> >> If you say "Yes", the data in this column is lost. If you say "No",
> >> nothing happens, including the column not being altered.
> >
> > I see. So if I have no needs for that PARTICULAR "ID" column which I
> > had, then I could say "Yes" and the program will go ahead and remove my
> > ID column and properly create another one numbered (in my case) 1 to 40?
> > And that new ID column will work properly as an auto-generating PK
> > column?
>
> That should work, yes.
>

> > When you say "wrong", I'm not sure what you mean.
>
> sorry for the confusion. What I wanted to say is that altering a column
> via an SQL statement works in general. But Base sends a *wrong* SQL
> statement to HSQL when you alter the column via the table designer -
> this is the reason for the "could not be changed, should I
> drop/re-append" message.
>
> This was just to ensure you don't assume that altering via SQL is not
> possible in SQL at all.

I see, that makes good sense. So one currently has two options: (1)
accept "Yes" and let Base delete the existing ID column and replace it
with a new, fully functional one; or (2) alter the existing ID column
using the SQL statement as per Drew's direction-- which will make the
existing ID column fully functional.

That works.

I guess someone will be fixing the error in Base which requires the
above two options to be pursued. That way one will be able to just
select "auto-generate" in the edit window and Base will execute the
request.

Thanks,
Swarup