Hi Frank

Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany escribió:
Hi Ariel,

Just to add a point: we are talking about the URI to be used by the scripting framework.
There is also another problem:
what will happen when calling a subroutine/function from within the odb/forms? will we be able to call a function located in an embedded form-document from another embedded form-document (both embedded in the same odb), or just from form-document to its parent - the DatabaseDocument?

I'd say the latter. I don't really see the need for calling from form A
into form B: If you have code needed in both forms, put it into the
database document. I think cross-document calling would a) make things a
lot more complex, b) make this inconsistent with the other apps (you
cannot call from text document A into text document B, can't you) and c)
open yet another can of worms by making well-defined concepts such as
"ThisComponent" meaningless.

and the other way around: calling from the parent a function within its child?

I tend to say no. Again, if you have a macro which is *not* needed in
the form only, the put it into the database, where everybody can use it.

Which brings me to another idea I had: Just disallow macros in
forms/reports, only allow them in the database. This would solve most of
the problems :)

This would be a great idea!!! (though what about backwards compatibility? will it be too much code to implement - not to destroy the users old data?)

This was what I thought when I knew that ODB doc. will have macros: bye bye macros in forms!!!

The thoughts here are just what a "common"/"dummy" user would/could do (let me tell you I've seen almost everything - mostly coming from former MSAccess users without programming knowledge, and used to VBasic's Me , DoCmd, etc.)

Nevertheless the event binding problem in Forms will come to: if I go to the dialog Tools-Customize-Events from a form-document, in the "Save in" list box I should see the form-doc.'s parent == the DatabaseDocument

Bye,
Ariel

--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.arielconstenlahaile.com.ar/ooo/

"Aus der Kriegsschule des Lebens
                - Was mich nicht umbringt,
        macht mich härter."
                Nietzsche Götzendämmerung, Sprüche und Pfeile, 8.