> So I see no other option than executing a wizard dialog (and also a
> table like control would help to show to the user the results of his/her
> CSV configuration [field delimiter, etc]).

OpenOffice.org CALC has a CSV wizard that allows one to specify the field
delimiter and preview the file. It works very well, but is limited to the
65,000 some odd rows of a calc worksheet.

1. Unlike CALC, database tables may have hundreds of thousands or even
millions of rows.

2. Unlike CALC, BASE would be writing to a data base connection (possibly
over a network) and not necessarily a file on the user machine.

In addition to the wizard in CALC, there are open source Business
Intelligence projects that have ETL modules, for example:

1. Pentaho (which provided JFreeReport Engine, has Kettle ETL module)

   - Pentaho Data Integration: Kettle is a powerful, metadata-driven ETL
   tool: http://kettle.pentaho.org/

2. Talend

   - By delivering a full featured data integration platform leveraging
   Open Source, Talend makes data integration available to all types of
   organizations: http://www.talend.com/

3. KETL

   - In 2005, in conjunction with Greenplum and JasperSoft, Kinetic
   Networks released the industry's first complete open source business
   intelligence development stack. The integrated solution combined KETL
   from Kinetic Networks, JasperReports, from JasperSoft, and the Bizgres data
   warehousing database based on PostgreSQL.:
   http://www.ketl.org/en/features/project_origins

Jim Callahan
Orlando, FL