Hello Jonathan,

> So I see two problems with the current option button behavior:
>
>      1. It complicates Excel compatibility.  Yes, we could map the Excel
>         group name to the Control name, but then any imported VBA code
>         that makes use of the control name -- e.g. to programmatically
>         enable/disable the option button when other buttons are pressed
>         -- will not work as expected.
>      2. It doesn't permit scripting access to all of the option buttons,
>         since they all share the same name.

The second is not *strictly* true, as it possible to iterate over all
controls by index, and check their names. That is said for completeness
only, it doesn't really solve the first problem (which is the
interesting one), nor is it convenient at all.

> Thus, the question: how best to solve these problems?  Following Excel
> and adding a GroupName property to controls might work.

That's the preferred solution.
The problem as such is known for quite a while, as you can see in the
"Form Control Properties" document at
http://dba.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList. The plan always
was to implement a GroupName property - it solves the problem, it is the
most convenient solution for MS interop, and there is no convincing
argument to invent a different solution -, but, alas, we simply never
did it.

So, if you want to implement a GroupName, that's welcome. I could
provide you with all necessary pointers, if you wish.

- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -