Hi Michael,

> I'm a bit confused. Actually our driver extension is written in Java,

Ah - actually I don't know much (put carefully) about implementing UNO
components in Java, so I hope that Ariel's idea solves your problem (I
suppose it does, given Ariel's expertise :) ).

So, assuming it does, some general remarks only:

XSingleServiceFactory can be considered the legacy version of
XSingleComponentFactory (and the same holds for the XMulti- versions).

So, in general you should use the Component-version, and only fall back
to the Service-thing if you interface with code which still needs it.

In my understanding (and it's well possible that other major differences
slip my attention), the most important advantage of the Component-API is
that you have the XComponentContext, which can provide, well, context
for your component, which reliefs implementations from accessing all
kind of global shared data (which is a paint in the neck).

- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         frank.schoenh...@sun.com -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -