It seems that BIRT is really something like the Framework.
 - It has some assets and code
- These assets and code are used throught the Base Applications and SpecialPurpose components whenever you need to display a graphic or dashboard, provide an interactive drilldown or want to produce a nice report for display or PDF output.

It is not really a separate component.

Guess what! It sounds like a sub-project is the right way to handle this so people with the right skillsets can drive the process.

In the meantime, the list of tasks identified by Taher is a very good starting point. Any idea of the number of manhours required to produce an initial toolkit that the application developers could use to integrate Analytics into each component that requires it? How much of this stuff exists buried in applications or in customized OFBIz implementation that could be contributed.

Does anybody see why this is essential to the competitive position of OFBiz or is it just a "nice to have"? This goes back to my earlier commens and "marketing" research when someone was looking to get Gartner to look at OFBiz. The lack of integrated Analytics would be a big negative in comparison with other ERPs.

For building eCommerce websites reporting is not a big deal but if you are going to provide an ERP, the CFO is going to want dashboards, the production manager will vote for the system that gives him strong tools to see comparisons and trends in order backlog, production, quality, manpower utilisation, costs, etc. The VP HR is going to want graphs on departmental manpower costs, overtime, expenses etc. that can be shown to the CFO and CEO at a moments notice.

Ron