+1 to use this as the common guideline. I have added few more as well.

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 11:52 AM, Lakmal Warusawithana <lak...@wso2.com>
> wrote:

Hi,
> [...]
>    and should not be used anywhere else in Java code
>    -
>
>    Make sure the function/method names are self descriptive
>    -
>
>    One should be able explain a function/method using a single sentence
>    without conjunctions (that is no and/or in description)
>

>    -
>
>    Have proper separation of concerns
>    -
>
>    Check if you do multiple things in a function
>    -
>
>    Too many parameters are smelly, indicates that something is wrong
>

>    -
>
>    Use  variables to capture status and return at the end whenever
>    possible
>    -
>
>    Avoid status returning from multiple places, that makes code less
>    readable
>    -
>
>    Be consistent in managing state e.g. Initialize to FALSE and set to
>    TRUE everywhere else
>    -
>
>    Where does that if block end, or what block did you end right now?
>    Have a comment at end of a block at }
>    -
>
>    Use if statements rationally, ensure the behavior is homogeneous
>    -
>
>    In case of returning a collection, must return an empty collection and
>    not null (or NULL)
>    -
>
>    Do not use interfaces to declare constants. Use a final class with
>    public static final attributes and a private constructor.
>    -
>
>    Always use braces to surround code blocks ({}) even if it is a single
>    line.
>    -
>
>    Break code into multiple lines if it exceeds 100 columns
>    -
>
>    Align method parameters, exception etc. in order to improve
>    readability. Use the settings in your IDE to do this.
>    -
>
>    Be sure to define, who should catch an exception when throwing one
>

>    -
>
>    Be sure to catch those exceptions that you can handle
>

>    -
>
>    Do not use string literals in the code, instead declare constants and
>    use them, constant names should be self descriptive
>

>    -
>
>    Use constants already defined whenever possible, check to see if
>    someone already declared one, specially in base libs, like Axis2
>

> Java Specific
>
>    -
>
>    Coding conventions -
>    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/codeconv-138413.html
>

>    -
>
>    Only exception is line length, we use 100
>

>    -
>
>    Run FindBugs on your code - http://findbugs.sourceforge.net/
>    -
>
>    Use CONSTANT_VALUE.equals(variable_name) to avoid null pointer

In addition to this,
                 - We can clear out the suggestions provided by idea in the
right tab in yellow/blue/etc colour.
                - Format code using idea.

Can someone add for eclipse, how we can do this? We can brief them in the
doc.

Thanks,
Reka

IMPORTANT

> You should run FindBugs on your new code or modified code, and commit only
> after fixing any bugs reported by FindBugs. It is recommended to use the
> IntellijIDEA (FindBugs-IDEA) or Eclipse FindBugs plugin to do this.
>

> --
> Lakmal Warusawithana
> Vice President, Apache Stratos
> Director - Cloud Architecture; WSO2 Inc.
> Mobile : +94714289692

Reka Thirunavukkarasu
Senior Software Engineer,
WSO2, Inc.:http://wso2.com,