Alexander Malysh wrote:

Hi,

why not simple define port in smsbox group always. so it would be possible: a) easier split bearerbox smsbox on different hosts w/o a need to define core group; b) tell smsbox to connect to any port also to sqlbox

Anyway we have bearerbox-host config variable already in place, so just add bearerbox-port to smsbox group. That's it...

now guys, I don't want to play the show-stopper, but that's not how the design was made...

Let's remember:

bearerbox is the "monolitic" center for the SMSC connectivity, so to the upstream world. smsbox is ONE instance of a smsbox-type box connection connecting to bearerbox. So we have a 1-to-N relation here, not a N-to-N relation.

That's why Lars designed to hold the config variable for the smsbox instances to connect in the core group. I fully agree with this design. It's consistent.

Now, with sqlbox, we move a bit away from this 1-to-N connectivity design. Or, actually maybe even not, but we put a piece between a monolitic bearerbox and a connected smsbox instance.

smsbox connects to bearerbox... or "to a box that acts as a bearerbox", even while this maybe a sqlbox. So smsbox should take the required port for the "target" [bearer|sql]box from the core group. Because this symbolizes the centric upstream path.

Alex isn't that much wrong here... this "may" be a solution to satisfy the "feeling" of users to define the connection point to the upstream hook rather in the smsbox group then in the core group. But speaking from a point of architecture design, it's clean the way we have it...

BTW, not to mention the config-breaker issue for upcoming releases then.

I'd like to stay the way we are at this issues and let the add-on box (sqlbox) have it's own config scratching.

Kölner Landstrasse 419
40589 Düsseldorf, NRW, Germany

tolj.org system architecture      Kannel Software Foundation (KSF)
http://www.tolj.org/              http://www.kannel.org/

mailto:st_{at}_tolj.org           mailto:stolj_{at}_kannel.org