On Fri, 22 May 2020 at 15:20, David Malcolm <dmalc...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-05-22 at 10:30 -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am working on our application whitelisting daemon. It uses the
> > rpmdb to
> > derive trust in what's on disk. If we use the whole rpmdb, then the
> > number of
> > files is large. So, to prune the amount of entries in the trust db
> > down to a
> > reasonable number, I thought we could jettison anything in
> > /usr/share.

> > Best Regards,
> > -Steve
> >

> > 1 - https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch04s11.html
>
> Hi Steve
>
> Your email talks about "application whitelisting" and "executables",
> and this thread seems to be getting in to the weeds about things like
> the distinction between scripts vs machine code, and modules vs
> scripts; code vs data.

For various security audits.. it actually isn't in the weeds. The general
want will be that everything that could be executable is known and in
places that are easily checked/removed by say a Private First Class without
much training but a book that says rm -rf /usr/share-execs/. IN most cases
it is more the ability to say that these files can be also checked by
various tools

And yes this does mean the removal/audit etc of
pdf/postscript
bash scripts
python/perl/etc

> Would it be helpful to approach this from a higher-level point of view?
> Presumably your goal is to enforce some kind of security boundary,
> along the lines of "only blessed things can be run".  What is that
> boundary?  What kinds of threat do you have in mind, and how might this
> whitelisting daemon block them?  (is there a web page somewhere for the
> project?)   (also: what's the user experience?)
>
> Some more awkward examples, in case these haven't already been
> mentioned in the thread:
>
> - what about machine code plugins to existing binaries?
>
> - what about Python modules that aren't executable scripts, but which
> are in the import path and might be used by executable scripts? (and
> which might modify the import path)
>
> - what about embedded interpreters?
>
> Hope this is constructive
> Dave