On Wed, Dec 6, 2023 at 12:39 PM Fabio Valentini <decatho...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 6, 2023 at 11:17 AM Ondrej Pohorelsky <opoho...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > For F40 I would like to change file permissions of few files that are
> provided by cronie and crontabs and swap deny list for allow list. I'm not
> really sure if I should make a change proposal. I figured I'll send an
> email first and see the feedback.
> >
> > The driving force of this change is feedback from RHEL customers, that
> they would like to have cronie and crontabs CIS compliant out of the box.
> Which means changing some of the file permissions and swapping `cron.deny`
> for `cron.allow`. As it stands now, they have to run their own scripts or
> dnf plugin (post-transaction-actions) to ensure that each update doesn't
> overwrite the file permissions they manually set.
>
> Just out of curiosity - what does CIS even stand for?
> The linked Red Hat docs don't expand the acronym, and googling for it
> obviously yields results for something entirely different

Basically, it is a Center for Internet Security (CIS) benchmark that some
companies use as a reference to limit configuration-based security
vulnerabilities.
I'm not really sure, but I think some governments require that their
systems are compliant.

You can look at CIS wikipedia page for more info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_Internet_Security#CIS_Controls_and_CIS_Benchmarks

--

Ondřej Pohořelský

Software Engineer