Hi,

> On 5. Jul 2024, at 14:24, Peter Pentchev <r...@ringlet.net> wrote:
>
> I wonder if it would be possible (of course it is technically possible,
> more like how hard it would be) to make the OpenSSL devel package
> conditionally define OPENSSL_NO_ENGINE if another package is
> not installed. I can think of at least two ways to do that:
> - alternatives (but maybe that's my Debian background talking)
> - #include_next games

That’s just
-DOPENSSL_NO_ENGINE_BUT_ACTUALLY_I_REALLY_STILL_WANT_TO_USE_THIS_DEPRECATED_FUNCTIONALITY
 but with extra magic so package maintainers only have to add BuildRequires:
openssl-devel-engine instead of adding a preprocessor define.

It also has the same downside of silently disabling engines if the maintainer
doesn’t check.

--
Clemens Lang
RHEL Crypto Team