On 11/08/2011 12:45 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 09:31 +1100, Bojan Smojver wrote:
>
>> I think what will most likely happen is that someone out there will come
>> up with an extension to nuke the Activities button and replace it with
>> Applications button. And that will be the end of that discussion.
>
> There's been one for months, and yet 'the end of that discussion' does
> not appear to have come, and not all Shell users use it.
>
> http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/extensions/index.html

I also found the recent Linux Mint approach sensible.
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1851
They're getting lots of unity defectors.
To me it seems like low hanging fruit to install some
of these extensions + gnome-tweak-tool on Fedora
and integrate these options into the settings panel
(even as an "extra-settings" item that starts gnome-tweak-tool).

I realize that options are often a sign of incomplete software,
but with direct user interaction, options can be a necessary evil
to deal with people's tastes and expectations.

cheers,
Pádraig.