Hi Kaspar,

> See above. There's an example log backend in sys/log/log_printfnoformat
> showing how to create a logging backend module. It should be straigh
> forward to use syslog there.
i just found some time to have a short look into the logging API. I tried to
compile my tests with the log_printfnoformat module. As       i understand the
interface, I just need to add "USEMODULE += log_printfnoformat" to my
application?

Sadly this leads to a compile time error: "fatal error: log_module.h: No such
file or directory". Looks like the includes not work as expected. I will have a
look later and maybe create an issue/PR if it’s not a problem caused by my
application.

Besides that it should be fairly easy to move the syslog implementation to the
LOG API since the interfaces already are very similar as Juan mentioned. Only
problem here is that syslog as implemented in gLibc expects a user to issue a
call to openlog first. Maybe I can make the call to openlog implicit and thus
make it compatible to both API‘s. Another solution could be to extend the log
module with a bootstrap/init function which defaults to do nothing in most
cases.

One problem with the generic LOG approach that comes to my mind is that it
looks like a all or nothing approach. When I implement the syslog
implementation as a log module it wouldn’t be possible anymore for the user to
decide which logs should be shipped via syslog and which logs only should be
send over serial line. Further, it would be critical to start syslog with
serial logging by default to not loose any messages before the syslogd thread
started. Maybe I would keep the syslog module in place as a separate module and
only make a wrapper in the log API which depends on the syslog module. That way
one could use both approaches.

You got any thoughts on this ?

Thanks

Robin