On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 09:12:37PM -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>The following checkin to XFree86 CVS broke the savage driver for
>some Savage MX and Savage IX users.  Tim Roberts put up a binary
>driver 1.1.27t, which users have tested and said it worked for
>them.  Tim just released the sources for 1.1.27t a couple of days
>ago, and I've gotten people to test his stock 1.1.27t driver, as
>well as 1.1.27t patched with differences between 1.1.26t and
>1.1.26 in XFree86 CVS.  I called this driver 1.1.27mh.
>
>Testing of 1.1.27h caused the same failures, implying that some
>difference between Tim's stock drivers and what is in XFree86 CVS
>had caused the breakage.  A user who has this hardware diffed the
>log files from a good working driver and the non-working driver
>and the only differences were that VBE was not being enabled and
>used.
>
>I looked through the 1.1.26t->1.1.26 (current CVS) patch for VBE
>related changes, and the only change that looked potentially
>problematic was on Dec 16th below.  I have reverted this change,
>and had multiple users now confirm that the driver works for them
>for about a week.
>
>In addition the 1.1.27t driver fixes a few other problems for
>people, but it is too late for 1.1.27t to get into 4.3.0.
>Please apply this one patch to the 1.1.26 driver in CVS however
>to revert the change below and fix the Savage driver for Savage
>MX/IX.

I'm committing this now.  The savage driver's PreInit does reference
the VBEInit info (if available) if it can't find the videoRam amount
by other means, so it's reasonable to keep the VBEInit() call for
that reason alone.

In the interests of getting further information about the problem,
can you find if the following code is ever executed when this patch
is added:

    if( !pScrn->videoRam && psav->pVbe )
    {
        /* If VBE is available, ask it about onboard memory. */

        VbeInfoBlock* vib;

        vib = VBEGetVBEInfo( psav->pVbe );
        pScrn->videoRam = vib->TotalMemory * 64;
        VBEFreeVBEInfo( vib );

        /* VBE often cuts 64k off of the RAM total. */

        if( pScrn->videoRam & 64 )
            pScrn->videoRam += 64;

        psav->videoRambytes = pScrn->videoRam * 1024;
    }

The log file should provide this information.  The above should
only be executed if there's no "probed videoram: " or "videoram = "
line in the log file.

David
--
David Dawes
Release Engineer/Architect                      The XFree86 Project