On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 12:05:17AM -0500, David Dawes wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 01:49:52AM +0100, Rob van Nieuwkerk wrote:
> >David Dawes wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks to all who sent in items for the release notes.  I've put updated
> >> versions of the docs for 4.3.0 at <http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/4.3.0/>.
> >> Further updates for the release notes and other docs are welcome.  The final
> >> section of the release notes needs to be reviewed too.
> >
> >Hi David,
> >
> >In:
> >     http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/4.3.0/RELNOTES2.html#3
> >     (2.1. Video Driver Enhancements)
> >
> >I read:
> >     "National Semiconductor SC1x00, GX1, and GX2 chipset support
> >      added with the "nsc" driver."
> >
> >Maybe there should be a "nsc" section added to:
> >
> >     http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/4.3.0/Status.html
> >     (Driver Status for XFree86[tm] 4.3.0)
> >?
>
> Yes, I'll add a "National Semiconductor" section.
>
> >Btw: I'm wondering if this new "nsc" obsoletes the "Cyrix" driver for
> >     the "Cyrix MediaGX" ?
>
> I'm not sure.  Alan, can you clarify this?

The nsc driver certainly obsoletes the cyrix driver for the 5530.
But I've heard rumours that it doesn't cope with the older style
VSA1 5530 chips very well in which the cyrix driver may still be needed.

But, additionally, the cyrix driver deals with 5510 and 5520 chips, whereas
the nsc driver doesn't.

Alan.