"Mike A. Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Excellent post Mike. You hit all the important points and I agree with
99% of what you said, except the following:

> (Try calling any video hardware vendor on the telephone for *any*
> operating system, including Microsoft Windows and tell them your
> video card is crashing and you think it is a driver bug.  Watch how
> fast every vendor out there will tell you that they do not provide
> end user support.)

The above is not true for IBM OS/2. If you are an IBM OS/2 customers you
can call up IBM and file a bug report with IBM about the video support.
Eventually this bug report will find it's way into the IBM CMVCC bug
tracking system, to the video support group and then into the SciTech
bugzilla database. Then on monday morning IBM bitches at me about the new
bug in our database, and asks if we can reproduce it. If we can, we fix
it and send them a new build which finds it ways back to the customer for
testing and eventually makes it's way into the next official code drop
they provide to their customers. If we can reproduce it, we spend
(usually a considerable amount of time!) going back and forth with the
customer, their test labs and our QA staff until we can reproduce the
bug, then we fix it and deliver the fix to IBM.

Sure, the process is long winded, but the bugs *do* get fixed ;-). On
average though we get very few bug reports this way, primarily because we
usually find the bugs during our extensive QA process or if we miss it
IBM catches in their own test labs. And the OS/2 product is deployed by
many large IBM customers who have one single driver running across their
entire enterprise, consiting of thousands to hundreds of thousands of
machines all running potentially different graphics cards. Recently we
fixed a nasty long standing bug that affected one customer who had 17,000
machines running the same graphics card, causing them to have lockups
once every 5-6 reboots. Fun stuff ;-)

If you are wondering what my point in all this is, the point is simple.
Companies like IBM do fix bugs in drivers for their customers, but their
customers pay for this service, and companies like mine get paid to
provide that service. It doesn't come free and my company couldn't
possibly do this for free on a volunteer basis either.

Oh, and companies like ATI, Intel and Matrox are nearly always completely
out of the loop in this equation, except to provide the specs and answer
the occasional question.

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~