On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 08:03:35PM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
> > The current CVS code produces the error:
> >
> > _XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
> > _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already
> > running
> >
> > bind() returns an EADDRINUSE error when binding to the second IP
> > protocol (in CVS it is IPv6).
> >
> > When I switch the order of initialization around and skip the IPv4
> > protocol if IPv6 initialization was successful, everything works:
> > I can connect thru IPv6 and IPv4.
>
> This sounds like a bug in Linux's socket implementation.

Not really. Linux has been always working like this. the USAGI patch for
linux kernel implements a runtime configurable option to separate ipv6 and
ipv4 bindings.

Fabio

--
Our mission: make IPv6 the default IP protocol
"We are on a mission from God" - Elwood Blues

http://www.itojun.org/paper/itojun-nanog-200210-ipv6isp/mgp00004.html