On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 05:46:45PM +1100, Tyler Retzlaff wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 05:35:55PM -0500, David Dawes wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 02:30:16AM +1100, Tyler Retzlaff wrote:
>> >I've been trying to build a 3rd party Xserver but have run into some
>> >difficulty when trying to link two xfree86 libraries to it (libXfont
>> >and libdix)
>> >
>> >During the link I'm getting warnings about multiple definitions of
>> >various symbols defined in libXfont and in libdix (output below).  The
>> >curious thing is this only happens if I try to link the Xserver w/ a
>> >static libXfont.
>>
>> The functions in miscutil.o are normally provided elsewhere by the X
>> server.  so the linker shouldn't be pulling it in.  Either it is getting
>> pulled in because one or more of those functions isn't provided elsewhere,
>> or because the linker semantics are "odd".
>
>Ok, but how do I work around it, I've re-ordered my link line to
>basically be libdix.a libXfont.a ..rest of archives.. So the only
>thing that could be pulling in the second copy of the symbols is dix
>itself.  Since they are provided by libdix I am therefore confused why
>they are pulled in.

Some are provided by libdix, and some by libos, and some are used by
both of those.  libXfont should be fairly late on the link line -- after
both the consumers and providers of these functions.  libXfont itself
uses them, which is why they are there as fallbacks.  If no amount of
reordering helps and if this is the only link-related problem, try
building libXfont without miscutil.o.  If that's no good for other things
that use libXfont, you'll need to track down the real cause of the
problem.

David
--
David Dawes                                     X-Oz Technologies
www.XFree86.org/~dawes                          www.x-oz.com