On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Sasha Malic wrote:

> I suspect that it could it be specific to the chipset that these
> modems are using, that is not happy with the strings that diald is
> sending. Any ideas ?
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem ?

I've experienced the problem many times, but never as frequently as you
have. I don't know that altering the init strings will help.

I don't know why you are having such frequent problems - do you have badly
regulated power supply in your area? Do the modems have good cooling where
they are sitting?

There's nothing that you can do except power cycle the modem.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer external modems to internal modems
- it's a bit sad when you have to shut down the server just to power cycle
the modem.

  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 564 8000 ext. 4378    Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada