Noah Berlove wrote:
>Clifford,
>
>I am currently hosting a domain on an e-smith box connected to a high
>speed cable connection.  Here are a few things you may want to consider:
>
>1) You can assign a domain name to your e-smith box without setting up the
>appropriate DNS records.  Of course, if you do this, you will not be able
>to access your e-smith box from outside of our network by using the domain
>name.  However, as long as you setup the computers on the local network to
>use the e-smith server for DNS, all of your internal mail will go to the
>e-smith server.

I presume you picked a domain name that was not taken. If so, how do you
ensure that it remains that way? As long as the Rogers connection is not
down, you can get to your machine from anywhere on the Internet by using
the CRXXXXX-A hostname. You will need to know the fully qualified domain
name of the Rogers gateway though. In my case, that is
ym1.on.wave.home.com. Yours will depend on where you live.

>2) If your client is using Roger's or Shaw's cable service, I am pretty
>sure you have a static IP address.  That is, it will always assign you the
>same address.

For all intents and purposes, you do but that address is not one that
anyone other than a Dynamic DNS service will route to. Besides, Rogers does
not guarantee that the IP address will not change.

>3) If the client has their own domain name(s) that they want to use, you
>might want to check out www.easydns.com, a DNS hosting company.  The one
>nice feature they have is that they will act as a backup mail server for
>you.  As I recall, they will spool your mail for up to 5 days if your
>email server is down (or servers as you can add multiple MX records).  My
>cable service is far from being completely reliable, but I have not had
>any problems since I started using EasyDNS.

Thanks Noah. I will check them out but not for this client. For the very
little amount of money that they could save, it makes no sense to host a
web site on the end of an unreliable connection.

Clifford Ilkay wrote:
>>I have looked through the message archives on the various forums and have
>>seen similar questions but no answers.
>>
>>I am setting up an e-smith box for a client. Their domain is hosted by
>>the cable company that supplies their connectivity. They get their IP
>>address dynamically by passing a hostname in the form of CRXXXXX-A and
>>the cable connection is really not reliable enough for them to host their
>>own domain. I still want to run a mail server to a) keep intra-office
>>mail within the office without the need to go out to their outside mail
>>server, b) centralize mail on the server for backup purposes by using
>>IMAP, and c) scan all incoming mail for potentially dangerous
>>attachments. We have no control over the cable co's DNS so creating an MX
>>record to point to the e-smith box is out of the question. The cable co's
>>mail server does not support ETRN and multi-drop does not make sense
>>because they have at least 30 real POP accounts on the cable co's mail
>>server. I am not sure how to proceed. I cannot put home.com or
>>someCompany.com for the domain on the e-smith box because the DNS for
>>both points somewhere else. Do I have to use a dynamis DNS service to
>>make this work? If so, would I have to put in someCompany.dyndns.org for
>>the domain and let the dyndns.org MX record point to the e-smith box?

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation
3266 Yonge Street, Suite 1419