Brian wrote:
> Yes, I have used H+BEDV, Trend, and McAfee on
> e-smith.  They all installed easily per
> their instructions.  Trend has a nice web-based
> GUI.

Do all of these products scan incoming (& outgoing mail)? I install Trend
interscan virus wall but could get it to work with Q-mail? I looked at the
Trend website for support but the change to the setup was just to complex?

> OTOH, Qmail-scanner is a difficult install, compared to
> most linux packages.  That is, you have to do more than
> just install an RPM or two.

I'd rather use a *commercial* product to do my AV scanning anyway!

> Follow the directions on the Qmail-scanner web site and you
> should be fine, but it may take a bit of fussing to
> get it to work the way you want.  Read all directions
> carefully and don't take shortcuts.  I do not
> have a HOWTO.  Just read the documentation that
> comes with Qmail-scanner.

Likewise, I followed it but had problem installed the queue patch

> If you are a linux newbie, however, you may want
> to ask a friend for help, as you will have to
> scrounge around for some tools.

I wouldn't say newbie but rather advanced learner (hehehehe!) ;)

> In my installation, I just renamed the scanner perl script to
> "qmail-queue" (after _first_ renaming qmail-queue
> to be "qmail-queue-orig").  Other than that, all was pretty
> much per the directions.
>
> NOTE: This is not the "e-smith way", so you
> will not have any web-based GUI tools ...
> and when you do an e-smith upgrade, your
> changes may be lost.

This is exactly what I DON'T want to do.

> My first post about this stuff is at:
> http://www.e-smith.org/bboard/read.php?v=t&f=1&i=2069&t=2021
>
> (May 5, 2000)
>

> --Brian