----- Original Message -----
From: "Millpost" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "devinfo e-smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2001 5:14 PM
Subject: [e-smith-devinfo] email imap migration: clients are driving me
spare.....

> Email migration issues:
>
> Background: we are doing rollout planning for a 20 user corporate network
> using e-smith 4.1 as a core element. e-smith is handling the email server
> requirements for the organization.
>
> Goal: to painlessly migrate existing users email from outlook express /
pop;
> outlook / exchange; eudora / pop, to outlook express / imap.
>
> you would think this should be easy...
> You would expect that all you'd need to do is add a imap account to the
> users email client and then drag and drop folders across.
>
> Existing email clients have variously a large number of hierarchically
> organised email folders, and have a mixture of HTML and plain text
messages
> within them. In addition, received dates & times are often very important
> the individuals to whom the email belongs.
>
> There seems to be no easy way of achieving the goal of migrating email to
> imap folders. Below is a matrix of our attempts:

[Much snippage]

We recently moved our 6 user base over with just such a situation. Luckily
nobody was concerned about the dates so simply creating accounts was the
easy way. However the sorting filters in OE 5.5 dont seem to work in imap,
will need to discover how to setup filtering in qmail/procmail to avoid
these issues. (do the filtering on the server).

I also reconfigured webmail to look at the users home directory instead of
on directory deeper as OE seems to have a problem with being set to match
webmails config.

Rob.