> Is there a possibility you could list a simple
> step-by-step of what you did to have the install work right on your
machine?

No problem. One caveat though: I am still using V4.0 (HERESY! i hear you
cry), because I managed to get most of the stuff added in 4.1 working myself
(mysql, php, webmail) and my bandwidth is limited and fragile (128K ISDN)

Also this was last September, so memory may be a little shaky, but I did
manage to find the directory I installed from (I will never say the word
procrastinate again...)

- Grab the tarball:
http://www.hacom.nl/~richard/software/smb_auth-0.05.tar.gz
- untar it: tar -zxvf smb_auth-0.05.tar.gz
- vi Makefile (yes I am a visochist)
- Change the SAMBAPREFIX to /usr (it is looking for the /bin directory off
of SAMBAPREFIX. See smb_auth.sh line 50)
- Change INSTALLBIN to /usr/bin
- ESC, :wq
- make
- make install

That is smb_auth installed. Now make the changes to smb.conf:

- cd /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/squid/squid.conf
- vi template-begin
- find TAG: authenticate_program
- uncomment it and change to read: authenticate_program /usr/bin/smb_auth -W
YOURDOMAIN (if i remember properly, it will almost definitely be in caps)
- find TAG: http_access
- Go UP a line (actually TAG: acl, but acl is long, including a little bit
of perl courtesy e-smith)
- after the "acl CONNECT method CONNECT" line, add a new line:
        acl MYAUTH proxy_auth REQUIRED
- go to the bottom of the http_access section (next section)
- after the "# INSERT YOUR OWN RULE(S) HERE TO ALLOW ACCESS FROM YOUR
CLIENTS" line you should have 2 lines:
        http_access allow MYAUTH
        http_access deny all
- ESC, :wq
- /sbin/e-smith/signal-event console-save (for us 4.0 people)
or /sbin/e-smith/signal-event network-create (for you trendy 4.1ers)

Now, go to your PDC (mine are NT, so forgive the backslashes for a minute)
MAKE SURE YOUR WINNT FOLDER IS ON NTFS (thank you Keith) or else you won't
be able to set the permissions
- dig up d:\winnt\system32\repl\Import\scripts
- create a text file in there called proxyauth (no .txt - make sure you dont
have "hide file extensions for known types" ticked)
- place one word in there: allow
- save and close
- now right click it, go to Properties, Security tab, Permissions button.
Remove any entries ("everyone" by default) and start adding your own users
(Add, Show Users, double-click names, make sure READ is in the drop down
box, click OK)

Now. That should get you there. Try to connect to www.e-smith.org, see if
you make it.

Regards