On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Dean Staff wrote:

> > > I brought the box on-line and noticed that it was taking up to a
> > > minute to process 1 message from other machines on my network. (They
> > > are sending to and from domains that are not listed as Virtual
> > > domains) So I guess my question is, does a large smtpd_check_rules
> > > file slow the daemon down drastically?
> >
> > Define very large. I would expect it to handle a hundred entry file
> > with no noticeable problems. How many entries do you have in your
> > file?
> >
> > I just tested a file with 238340 entries and saw no real lag
> > (certainly less than a second) in handling invalid addresses. That's
> > on a 500MHz Celeron with 64Mb RAM.
>
> It's only 79 lines, with 64 entries.
>
> If I move the appropriate rule set to the top of the list, will it
> validate faster?

Yes, a few microseconds could be shaved off the time it takes :)

The problem is NOT with the size of the file, as my example above
demonstrates. 238340 is a little bigger than 64, would you not agree?

> I think I'll do some more investigating. There must be another reason
> why the reponse time is so slow.

Certainly.

--
Regards
Peter

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"