Yes I think the host configuration screen is a great addition.  I'm not
Linux literate enough to completely follow or implement your technical
suggestions outlined.  I just found the previous use of DNS entries in the
console, if not technically correct, at least appeared to work just fine.

www.domain.com would
become invisible to the machines on the LAN - www.domain.com would now
resolve to the e-smith server's internal interface address, e.g.
192.168.1.1.

Our solution to this dilemma is to offer a host configuration screen which
allows each name in the *.domain.com domain to be assigned to any IP
address on your LAN, or to an external IP address. By default, "www",
"proxy", "mail" and "e-smith-manager" are set to the LAN IP address of the
server. In the example that you have given, "www" can be set to the IP
address of the external web host. "www.domain.com" will then resolve to
the externally hosted web site without reference to the external DNS.

The host configuration screen can also be used to assign other names to
machines on your LAN; this feature will be used, for instance, to assign
names for network printers. The hosts screen also allows MAC addresses to
be assigned to IP addresses and names - this information is used to prime
the DHCP configuration, so that, e.g, printers, other servers, etc, can be
assigned fixed IPs and descriptive names via DHCP.

I hope that you will find that this system will satisfy all your naming
needs.

Regards

  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada