Quoting "Aldert E. van der Laan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Jason,
>
> Whilst it is hard to troubleshoot anything without proper knowledge of
> your
> system I would follow these steps:
>
> Termination of the scsi bus:
>
> Make sure both ends of the scsi bus are terminated properly.
> Have the terminators tested if you are not sure, or replace them.
>
> Scsi controller:
>
> Make sure the scsi controller is set to proper values.  Some people
> think
> they can "tweak" the card settings, resulting in failing hardware.

In my case the entire system is running on SCSI. The system is a dual
PII300 with 192 Meg Ram, 23Gig SCSI drive. The CD-Rom is on the same
cable as the Scsi Tape drive.

> Other hardware tips:
>
> Make sure your Scsi cable is 100% and that the tape streamer is
> properly
> grounded.
> Sony series tape streamers are known to need a ground cable to the frame
> of
> the computer.
> Important to know is to clean your tape streamer heads at least once a
> week
> with a cleaning tape.

Tape has been tested on Win98 & WinNT4 machines - no problem.
Tape drive cleaned several times - but like I said, it works with
Win systems.

> Software:
>
> Taper makes a good backup... I think you should really check if the
> backups
> are correct and restore data from the tape to another directory.  These
> files can be small but you should really see if the data can be
> retrieved.
> I question the backup.

I will check!

> What happens if you run the backup script manually and how much Ram is
> in
> the computer.
> Check with top how much load the backup puts on the system.
> You might well run out of physical space somewhere (memory or swap space
> on
> a low end computer system with say 32mb memory).

Not a problem on my systems. Even Taper has reported errors - at times.