Dan/Orville.  Try these commands (from /sbin/e-smith/backup):

/bin/dd if=/dev/zero of="/dev/nst0" bs=10k count=1
/usr/bin/flexbackup -fs all

Look for the 'At block xx' number and compare running
the 'flexbackup' command line with and without the 'dd'
command.  The result you want to see is the starting block
position should increase when the 'dd' command is run.

<...>
flexbackup version 0.9.8 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
/etc/flexbackup.conf syntax OK

|------------------------------------------------
| Trying "mt defblksize" instead of "mt setblk"
| Doing level 0 backup of all using dump
| Retensioning tape...
| Rewinding & erasing tape...
| Creating index key 200102172025.27
| Tape #0
| Filesystems = / /boot
At block 41.
<...>

Then let me know the outcome of your tests :)

Darrell